Electorate Office Address
1 Paradise Ave,
Miami QLD 4220
Burleigh MP Applauds Home Assist Secure Funding
Member for Burleigh Michael Hart MP today confirmed the new funding arrangement for local Home Assist Secure (HAS) providers, following an announcement by the Minister for Housing and Public Works.
Funding worth $18 million for 2013-2014 was announced by Minister Tim Mander on Tuesday.
“This is a great outcome for local residents who currently use the HAS services, and there will be benefits for government as well. This program reduces the pressure on homelessness services and social housing while improving people’s quality of life. ”, said Mr Hart.
HAS aims to remove some of the practical housing-related difficulties experienced by people aged 60 years and over, and those with a disability of any age by providing minor home maintenance or repairs. Clients are assessed for eligibility against health and safety criteria before being provided HAS services.
As at 30 April 2013, the program had assisted 56,000 households around Queensland and delivered more than 183,000 individual services during 2012–13.
Previously there has been little oversight of HAS which has led to in some instances improper use of the service. The Newman Government plans to clarify the roles and guidelines around HAS to ensure services are efficient and targeted toward those that truly need it.
Mr Hart said that HAS will be an important element of the Newman Government’s housing strategy going forward, a strategy that delivers a housing system that is fair, sustainable and helps Queenslanders in need.
[ENDS] 22 May 2013
Contact: Burleigh Electorate Office – 5526 6024